Here are the high points
The standard Part B premium amount in 2018 is $134 (or higher depending on your income). However, most people who get Social Security benefits pay less than this amount. This is because the Part B premium increased more than the cost-of-living increase for 2017 Social Security benefits. If you pay your Part B premium through your monthly Social Security benefit, you’ll pay less ($109 on average). Social Security will tell you the exact amount you’ll pay for Part B in 2018. You’ll pay the standard premium amount if:
- You enroll in Part B for the first time in 2017.
- You don’t get Social Security benefits.
- You’re directly billed for your Part B premiums.
- You have Medicare and Medicaid, and Medicaid pays your premiums. (Your state will pay the standard premium amount of $134.)
- Your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago is above a certain amount. If so, you’ll pay the standard premium amount and an Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA). IRMAA is an extra charge added to your premium.
If you’re in 1 of these 5 groups, here’s what you’ll pay:
|If your yearly income in 2015 (for what you pay in 2017) was||You pay each month (in 2017)|
|File individual tax return||File joint tax return||File married & separate tax return|
|$85,000 or less||$170,000 or less||$85,000 or less||$134|
|above $85,000 up to $107,000||above $170,000 up to $214,000||Not applicable||$187.50|
|above $107,000 up to $160,000||above $214,000 up to $320,000||Not applicable||$267.90|
|above $160,000 up to $214,000||above $320,000 up to $428,000||above $85,000 and up to $129,000||$348.30|
|above $214,000||above $428,000||above $129,000||$428.60|
Part B deductible & coinsurance
- Most doctor services (including most doctor services while you’re a hospital inpatient)
- Outpatient therapy
- Durable medical equipment
In 2017, there may be limits on physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech language pathology services. If so, there may be exceptions to these limits.